My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Step behind the curtain and take a peek into the real world of nursing - uncut and uncensored!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What's In A Name?

Names are important. Your name becomes a part of who you are. This is how people know you. A good name vs. a bad name can mean the difference between a lifetime of normalacy or a lifetime of torment. Yet it never ceases to amaze me how mothers and fathers will agree to disagree and name their daughter something like Shithead - pronounced "shi-theed".

I myself narrowly escaped receiving an ungodly name at birth. Supposedly my father wanted to name me Thaddeus, in the event that I was a boy. What hallucinogenic drug he was on at the time, I do not know, but luckily I was born with a vagina and the rest is history. Granted, I still was not thrilled with the name that I did get, but it surely was a step up from Thaddeus.

The other day I ventured into Chattanooga to visit RockCreek Outfitters at Hamilton Place. One of my coworkers had told me about this really cool water bottle she had purchased there and since I had thrown out my Nalgene I felt that now was as good a time as any to look into getting something new.

RockCreek Outfitters is an outdoor sporting goods and apparel store here in the south. For the most part I really enjoy browsing through their merchandise. The reason I say browse is because although they have some really useful and wellmade products, they are extremely overpriced. When I first walked into the store I spotted a green fleece that zips up the front. It was nothing special, just a fleece, an $85 fleece! But I digress.

I walked around for awhile and when I found the water bottles, I picked the one I wanted and hopped in line to pay. In front of me was a couple with a little boy who I'd say was somewhere around the terrible two's. Both his parents were dressed like they were ready to hit the trails with their little one in tow, and it seemed he too would have preferred this because he was twisting and contorting himself in his mother's arms, trying to escape. Of course it wasn't enough that he was squirming and aggrevating his parents. He had to aggrevate everyone else in the store. Thus it was that he was screaming and crying at the top of his lungs, all the time with me behind him, a front row seat, lucky me.

As his cries reached unspeakable ear deafening decibels his mother intervened and proceeded to scold him. "Canyon!" she exclaimed. I nearly fell backwards. She might have just named him Granola, or Kayak, or Canoe for Pete's sake! This poor child has to live the rest of his life being named after a huge hole in the ground! Normally I might reason that this name was different, unique. But then I ask myself, "Would I want to be named Canyon?" No. It's one thing to be in touch with Mother Nature, but you yourself are not Mother Nature and your child should not be named as if he were the son of Mother Nature. I rest my case!

3 Comments:

Blogger breastfeedingtips said...

I totally agree with this! Celebrities have gone nuts as well with baby names such as apple and cocoa! My baby is going to have a Bible name which will indeed be unique but not strange and not something other than a real name not a piece of furniture, food, or mother nature!

2:28 AM  
Blogger lady be good said...

well, though i do think canyon is a bit off base, i am still sticking to the plan of gifting my first-born vagina with the name of "Philadelphia". Call me crazy!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The nfl jerseys store Broncos are 8-5 and have Christian Louboutin Women Flat games left against the Patriots, Chiefs and cheap nfl jerseys Raiders, three of the four NFL teams who christian louboutin shoes have Nike Air Max 90 already reached NFL Tom Brady Jerseys at least 10 wins. They christian louboutin uk probably Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes need louboutin outlet to christian louboutin men flat win two Nike Free Run of christian louboutin Panettone spiked leather wallet those three to make the playoffs. This will feel like a wholesale nfl jerseys playoff game already for NFL Rob Gronkowski Nike Jerseys them.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home