My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Step behind the curtain and take a peek into the real world of nursing - uncut and uncensored!

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Web To Web

Pasta Thursday. Just the thought makes my entrails groan. It seems I O-Ded on the fried ravioli during my Freshman year, and thus I cannot bare to even smell the marinara sauce bubbling in the cafeteria cauldrons. Yet, the cafeteria has a strange magnetic pull on pasta Thurdays, and I always seem to wander directly into the kitchen despite my fight with nausea. It wasn't until this past Thursday that I understood what keeps me coming back time and time again.

He can barely see above the serving deck, but comes faithfully each week to perform his serving duties. He's quite petite, and thus I when I converse with him I feel as though we are on the same plane. I sometimes wonder if it is his stature that makes me feel this connection with him, but upon rethinking the situation I am ever more convinced that it is his handshake. For those not familiar with the current cafeteria crew, I speak of a certain Dr. Samaan, professor of religion. This little man packs some punch, literally!

Last semester I took Life and Teachings of Jesus from him, and since then I always look forward to our Thursday meetings when I can experience a real handshake. Now, some of you may be wondering what I mean when I say a "real handshake", so prepare to be educated. There are different kinds of handshakes. There are the kinds of handshakes where the other person seems to think that a hand merely consists of your finger tips, and thus that is all they grab. Then there are the kinds of people that realize the webbing between your fingers have more than just an anatomical purpose. They take your hand with authority, palms meeting, web to web! This is just the type of handshake you would receive from Dr. Samaan.

Therefore, on Thursday I arrived at the cafeteria in need of my weekly handshake, only to catch Dr. Samaan preparing to leave. I bounced up to him, as is my manner, and thrust my hand forward. He smiled and offered his in return only to pull back and look at me in surprise. I suppose he never met a girl who appreciated the importance of a good handshake. But I must admit that I am known for my handshake. When first introduced to the second-to- youngest Landry brother, I elicited the same response I always receive from Dr. Samaan. He too drew back in surprise and commended me on such a powerful, impressive handshake. Thus it was that I laughed, slapped Dr. Samaan on the back, and proceeded to clock in for my shift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home