My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Step behind the curtain and take a peek into the real world of nursing - uncut and uncensored!

Monday, May 09, 2005

Baby Steps

Remember that hilarious movie What About Bob? I've lost track of all time and what happened when so I cannot say what year it was released, but I'd say it's a must see. In the movie Bill Murray plays the part of a middle aged man suffering from obcessive compulsive disorder and a number of other phobias that prevent him from living what we would consider a normal life.

As the plot progresses our main character, Bob, becomes significantly clingy with his psychiatrist, almost as though he cannot live without this man's presence in his life. In the meantime, the doctor does everything in his human power to get Bob to leave him alone. Everywhere he goes he receives pages and calls from Bob. Worst of all, Bob even follows him on his vacation to the lake. As if that were not enough, the doctor's wife and children become quite fond of Bob and allow him to stay with them for the duration of their vacation.

While in therapy sessions, the doctor stresses to Bob the importance of taking little steps, or "baby steps", toward overcoming his fears and compulsions. Throughout the remainder of the movie Bob attempts to use the "baby steps" policy toward recovery.

Today was a baby steps day. At least so far it has been. Although it is only a little past noon, I feel that I have accomplished a great deal yet only taken a little baby step toward being finished. While climbing into the car this morning to do some errands, I was stopped in my tracks and decided that maybe I should check the mailbox. The pessimist in me was convinced that there would be no mail because things are operating so slowing at the university that I was sure none of my mail had been forwarded yet. Much to my surprise I did receive some mail. Of course I was only from student finance. I'm sure it is not just merely a coincindence that the university cannot manage to deliver my personal mail but without fail my statement is sure to arrive. But wait, what is this? Another something from Southern. Appears as though they are claiming that I did not take my loan exit interviews, which of course I did. First stop for this morning's errands, Southern Adventist University.

Arriving on campus I headed to Thatcher South first. For the past week I have been trying to get in touch with a dean so they can apply my housing deposit to my financial statement. Praise God! The dean was actually on duty and in the flesh, sitting at her desk. Within seconds I was assured that all was taken care of. Next stop, Wright Hall.

Upon entering Wright Hall I was unfortunately disappointed not to hear Mrs Bietz at the receptionist desk answering the phone with her silly fluctuating intonations. But my disappointment quickly vanished as Bryce walked around the corner. I must have caught him off guard as I ran to give him a hug. Finally a familiar and friendly face. We chatted back and forth for a few minutes and then he headed off to continue his work and I continued around the corner to student finance.

At the glass window I presented the letter I had received that morning. The desk worker disappeared for a few minutes and reappeared to inform me that I was in fact all clear, and they must have mailed the letter by mistake. Finally I feel like I am getting somewhere with these people, but remember, baby steps!

2 Comments:

Blogger lady be good said...

But my question is, did Bryce actually hug back? :P Bryce is so tall, it's like hugging a tree trunk. You have to get him in a sitting position before you can make any moves on him. (tsk tsk, hee hee). LOL! Laff...

11:56 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

hehehe. Baby steps! You are definitely making progress here. OFf to bed I be going! loves!

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home