My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Step behind the curtain and take a peek into the real world of nursing - uncut and uncensored!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Men Are From Mars Women Are From Venus

I never ceases to amaze me. Call it what you like. Perhaps it's just that we're attempting to appease our ever insatible appetite for knowledge. Perhaps it's a little more fundamental than that and we are just being curious. Or maybe if we'd like to be completely honest, it all boils down to pure, sheer, stupidity.

CT scans, MRI's, electroencephalograms. Every year we spend millions of dollars trying to understand the human mind. Any of the afore mentioned tests provide us with the ability to view images of the human brain or even record its many electrical activites. Sure it's intrigueing, but why would I waste my time?

Go into any local bookstore and you'll find stack upon stack of books written by some award winning author, attempting to better help you understand the intricacies of the male/female mind. I'm almost ashamed to admit the presence of one such book on my bedside table, not to mention the fact that I've bookmarked myself as reading as far as chapter 5. Regardless of the fact that I may have learned some male tidbit, I really find the whole process quite futile.

Most women will bear witness that "All men are the same." But you know what? I'm not most women? You may not appreciate my testimony. As corny and cliche as it sounds, we're all different and unique. I find it an insult that society expects me to blindly open wide while they continue to spoonfeed me this garbage about "all men/all women." Since when did ONE man or ONE woman become the authority on what all men/women are thinking?

If you want to understand me as a woman, it's as simple as this - honesty and actions. Of course the unfortunate thing is that not all women are like me so my philosophy is far from universal. But count yourself lucky because how often does a woman willingly open herself up for the benefit of all mankind?

1. Honesty - I say what I mean and I mean what I say. It's that simple. There's little point in lying. It just creates more confusion and complicates things even worse.

2. Actions - They really do speak louder than words. I can tell you something until I'm blue in the face, but unless you see me act on it, it's meaningless.

Truth be told, the whole honesty, actions thing applies to men too. Take for instance the other week when I went to breakfast with The Second and his friend after work. We ordered and waited for the waitress to bring our food. Finally the waitress brought the food but was a little behind with my order. The Second just sat his short stack to the side and waited for my breakfast to come along. He could've told me that he was a gentleman, or that he respected me, or cares about me, but really his actions alone convinced me all the more.

1 Comments:

Blogger lady be good said...

Yes, each of us is unique, but sometimes there can be truth found in generalization- hormones and society play a big part in how we act. If we can come close to predicting behaviour or preventing mistakes in communication because of someone else's studies- hey, I'm all for it. I read the John Grey Book you quoted when I was 13 or so and it brought to like to me many aspects of communication in general.

I have to agree that men are from mars and women are from venus- but you know me... i'm from the moon. ;)

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home