My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Step behind the curtain and take a peek into the real world of nursing - uncut and uncensored!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

What's In A Name?

Throughout my life I've acquired a number of different nicknames, most of which requiring a little explanation as to its origination, and why not? Isn't that what nicknames are all about? One day you did something really stupid or maybe even something magnificent permitting one of the witnesses of said incident (whether idiotic or brillant) to brand you with some silly name, for the rest of your pathetic, miserable life. So now wherever you go, that's how you're known. Me? I have many nicknames. I thought it'd be fun to list a few of my favorites, but please, expect no explanations for those that may appear slightly questionable:

1. Little White Phoofy Head - or just Phoofy
2. Pootie
3. Lil bit
4. "P" Squared
5. Peppermint Patti
6. Patti-Cake

Patti-Cake. Somtimes I really despise my name. It's too easily fooled around with, too easily made too cute. Yet this nickname seems to follow me everywhere, and it's everyone's favorite, often accompanied by the popular nursery rhyme. It's not really that I mind the name itself. It's actually one of my personal favorites. But it's origination is what bothers me. DB was the first person to ever call me Patti-Cake, and that of course made it all the more special. But when things fell apart, leaving me with only memories, it adopted a more bitter sound, almost to the point where I hear even my own name, and I feel pain.

Yet this nickname has followed me to the hospital, and Muscles felt so clever when he played with my name and came up with his own nickname for me. I didn't have the heart to tell him he was not the first or the last person to call me that. Yet whenever I hear it, my mind reverts back to a time so different, it almost seems like a dream.

The other day I almost requested that Muscles not call me Patti-Cake. But I didn't want to come across as hasty or give the impression that I'm still attached to it's old meaning. Thus as I've erased all previous memories of DB, this one will be disgarded as well. And so begins another new beginning to which I will attach a new meaning. Just call me Patti-Cake.

1 Comments:

Blogger lady be good said...

who is DB? do i want to know? well, so the world knows, it was I who came up with little white phoofy head- and i will never forget that day when you and vicky were playing with that stupid doll. it makes me go into hysterics sitting right here thinking about it. ;)

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home