My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Step behind the curtain and take a peek into the real world of nursing - uncut and uncensored!

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Under The Weather

I have gotten quite a bit of grief from some of my readers for not updating my entries, yet I assure ya'll it is with good reason. In case it wasn't already obvious from the title of this entry, I have been feeling a little, shall we say, under the weather. Over the past 3 weeks my poor body has been fighting some unidentifiable monster. This of course is the diagnosis the doctors have given me, as well as insinuate that it is all in my mind. Personally, not only do I feel ever so slightly insulted, but I find the entire situation really quite despicable. It is all to ironic that doctors call what they do "practice" for that is exactly what it boils down to.

This is how it works:

White coat enters room. White coat sticks his cold hand in your shirt and pretends to listen to your heart and lung sounds. White coat nods to himself. White coat then overzealously pokes around on your stomach and nods some more. White coat then introduces a small light into your ears, and for his own entertainment, up your nose. Again there is more nodding and even some curious humming as an added but pathetic attempt to make you believe that he is thinking. Ultimately he turns to you and says, " I find nothing wrong with you." OR in my case, "Ma'am I think you have shingles!"

Now please, if there is someone out there that knows more about shingles than I do, I would be very open to further education on the matter (for I do not claim to be an expert on the subject), but from 2 years of intense nursing school I know all I need to know about shingles. I have even seen a rip roaring case of shingles. Yet, diagnosing shingles seems to be quite simple. I'll put it this way: shingles = lesions! Now mind you, this is not rocket science. All the man had to do was open his eyes and look at me for half a millisecond to realize there was not even the most remote beginnings of any type of lesion, anywhere on my body. But you see, common sense is not a prerequisite for medical school.

In my case I got a little of both. First his conclusion was that there was nothing wrong with me, despite the fact that I was experiencing pain in my ear and running a temperature. Yet just as quickly as his dim-witted mind conjured up the first diagnosis, he formulated another. Thus the shingles. Consequently there is only one more thing to do. He pulls out his secret weapon and scribbles you a perscription for some medication that costs $55 dollars, and sends you on your merry way.

And you pay him for this.

4 Comments:

Blogger lady be good said...

Yes. The medical profession is just a small part of the governments plan to control you and make you dependant on them. This is exactly why I don't go to Doctors!

1:27 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

This is exactly why i hate going to the doctors!! They look at you and they supposedly know what you have just but poking around your body and sticking stuff up your nose and in your ears. I mean I could do the exact same thing and say i have the shingles as well or the meisels or something! I personally think they do it just for enternainment and money...

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've often heard of doctors compared to auto mechanics that have to work while the engine is running, "which is why they charge so much $". Well when my car has a problem, they CAN always somehow fix it. And if they give it back unfixed u don't pay. But docs always charge, and only occasionally fix, if they even understand.

9:48 PM  
Blogger lady be good said...

sister, do you know you have now put the same comment on my site at least 4 times? silly sister. laff...

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home