My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Tennessee, United States

Step behind the curtain and take a peek into the real world of nursing - uncut and uncensored!

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Moocher Magnet

Over a span of the past two weeks, it seems that the only people that I am meeting are people in need. Of course being a nurse in the making, I am accustomed to daily dealing with people that are in need of some of the most basic Maslow needs. Yet these people that I have encountered are far from needing help to their bedside commode or some of their regularly scheduled pain medications.

Thus far I have been able to categorize them under 2 classifications. For one thing, they have all been males, and for another thing they have all been the worst flirts I have ever been so unfortunate to stumble upon. Now of course I know what you are thinking dear reader. Why, I should be so flattered as to be repeatedly pursued in such manner. But you see, you have jumped the gun and have not allowed me to finish my tale. And so it goes. . . . .

About two weeks ago, I was enrolled in some classes through Memorial Hospital, as part of my orientation torture. But God must have been smiling down on me because everyday I entered class, my dearest and best friend Jamie Noe was saving me a seat beside her. On one particular day we decided to have some lunch together after class and catch up on life. Coincidently both of us were craving something a little less then healthy and inexpensive. Therefore I found myself in line at the local McDonald's, which of course I have no qualms about. The drive-thru personnel practically know me by name!

While waiting for my order, I stood at the counter and chatted with Jamie. Our conversation was interrupted by what sounded like someone indirectly addressing me. Standing less than 3 feet from my heels was a ragged Harley biker man, probably old enough to be my grandfather. Apparently he had joked with the cashier that I was going to cover his lunch bill for the day. Glancing over and sheepishly attempting a smile, I chuckled slightly, grabbed my tray and headed for the nearest booth. I was not a bit surprised when he came and sat right behind Jamie and I. Luckily he was not in the mood to dilly dally as we were and left before we finished our meal.

Now I must fast forward you to this week. Not but 3 days ago a very similar situation occurred. While standing in line at the hospital cafeteria to pay for my breakfast I hear those same familiar words ringing in my ears. Behind me stood a male nurse who apparently must have at one time or another befriended the Harley biker man, for he proceeded to tell the woman behind him that I was going to pay for his breakfast as well as my own. Again I expressed some slight embarrassment which he quickly noted aloud, only making my blushing worse. And it was not that I was wooed by him or any such thing. It seems that I have absolutely no control over whether my cheeks take on some color or not. Worst of all, I am never really sure if I am in fact blushing or not. There are day when I feel as though someone torched my face. The burning feeling extending all the way to my hairline. Then there are days like the one described above where I have no idea, yet the person to whom I am speaking, without fail, declares aloud my obvious embarrassment.

After digging a few dollars out of my pocket and paying the cashier, I ran out of the cafeteria, praying to never encounter such a wrecked nurse as him. So far the rest of the week has progressed without someone trying to get me to pay their lunch bill. Yet, perhaps that is because I have not eaten out since these occurances.

4 Comments:

Blogger lady be good said...

Maybe the blushing problem is a Porawski thing because, hot dog, some dude sat across from me on the train the other day, and I swear he was American. Just had that look and everytime I noticed another clue to prove my point, he caught me looking, to which I couldn't help but to smile and of course blush. As far as the pick up lines- I am humored that you got two of the same ones back to back. I had never heard that one before. The ones I get are more along the lines of "maybe we could meet so I can practice speaking in English." And I am thinking- oh yeah, I just love to work around the clock. ;)

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only rember being hit on once. Least some people are verifing that you are attractive. I havn't had any verification of that. :P

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH she's a fox! Trust me!

9:38 PM  
Blogger John Champaign said...

The only two times I've been "hit on" at all, were when I was studying Mandarin, a fellow student (a Vietnamese woman) told me in broken English that my eyes were beautiful (which was nice!).

The other time was a woman who worked in the cafeteria when I was in University, and she ended up stalking me, so that wasn't so good.

Generally I can't think of a polite way to hit on women, so I never do (and my romantic life suffers for it). However, if I was going to hit on a woman, trying to get her to pay for my meal would never occur to me...

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home